Last night I rolled into the Salt Lake Airport after a five day visit with my sister Jessica. I was feeling a bit nostalgic already about my visit and started jotting down some of the highlights. It was my first visit there, and a great one at that! After my musings I came up with the following list of my favorite things about Georgia…
Rachel's Georgia Top 10:
10. Augusta, GA has the quaintest airport around! It has a grand total of 6 gates, surrounded by courtyards and rocking chairs. I would swear it’s the size of the local Wal-Mart, and took about 3 minutes to get through security. There were no arrivals or departures while I waited to leave yesterday…and no plane for that matter. Until the one from Atlanta arrived, unloaded its happy passengers, and herded us on to fly off for Atlanta again.
9. The people in Georgia seem to be “above average” friendly. I don’t think I’ve met more people that were MORE excited about my sister’s upcoming baby than we were! I was met everywhere with “Hey y’all”, and “Sweetie” more than any other time I can recall…and it was quite refreshing, I must say. In fact, I almost picked up an accent…almost.
8. I was privileged to DRIVE BY the famous golf course where the Masters are played every year, otherwise known as the Augusta National Golf Course. When I say DRIVE BY, I mean on the road, on the other side of the HUGE hedges that surround the entire course. You can’t drive up the road to the course unless you are a member, so forget about trying to play a round there! You can’t even see a green from the road…
7. Fabulous weather! I now know why snowbirds migrate there every winter. Jessica says that the locals are already saying it’s going to be “the year” they get snow, but I think they say that every year. I mean, it was almost 80 degrees for a high every day I was there! None of the trees had changed yet either, which I was a little bummed about, but it was so beautiful and green…it was hard to complain! I’m sure it will be gorgeous in another few weeks with all the fall colors.
6. We ate at a little place called Sconyer’s BBQ. It was listed in a People Magazine’s Top 10 BBQ’s in the United States. My honest review was…it was pretty decent BBQ, but my brother-in-law Ryan’s smoked spare ribs were FAR better! We did get to try Sconyer’s famous Hash, don’t get any crazy ideas here. Ever tried southern Hash? Neither had I…it’s a concoction of potatoes, onions, meat, and whatever else that’s available, all combined to the consistency of mush. Very interesting. Can’t say it was great, but not bad. Definitely worth trying. Plus, they have the best jingle on their website!
5. I met Sam. Not my nephew Sam. This Sam sat next to me on the plane from Salt Lake to Atlanta. Sam was from a small town in Georgia that I can’t even recall. Sam had some pretty rotten teeth and reeked of smoke. Sam was the friendliest guy I’ve ever met. This was because Sam was afraid of flying, and had to get liquored up to step on the plane, and have another beer during the flight (to settle his nerves). It was the second time he had every flown, the first time being when he was two years old. So…basically the first time. Sam was hilarious. At first I was skeptical thinking, “Oh man, this is going to be the longest flight ever!” Not so, it was quite entertaining and I got to see pictures of the alligator in his swimming pool in his backyard. Can’t beat that!
4. The African-American gentleman waiting for his ride outside the Augusta Airport when I first arrived. He was dressed in a RED tuxedo, with tails. Add in his red and black vest, black shirt, red tie, red pimp hat, and black and red oxford shoes and he was dressed to impress. He complimented me on my hair…but I think he’s just partial because I happen to have a red shade of hair right now! I can’t even tell you how fabulous he looked! I almost had the nerve to ask for a picture, but lost it. It’s a shame now, I’m sure you’d all enjoy seeing it. Put that outfit on anyone and it would be pretty impressive.
3. Our trip to Savannah. Augusta is a 2 ½ hour drive from Savannah so Jess and I headed out early Saturday morning and spent the day there. Our favorite stops:
- One Fish, Two Fish…a design store.
- Back in the Day Bakery…AMAZING cinnamon rolls, along with many other delectables.
- The most wonderful antique furniture store, Alex Raskin Antiques, housed in the Noble Hardee Mansion, Montery Square. I LOVE the architecture of the traditional southern homes. I love the all brick homes, iron detail work, grand columns, fabulously large rooms, entryways, staircases, grand entrances, etc. You name it I love it, and this one was great, if a bit run down. In addition, the antiques were amazing! Furniture from the 1600’s to today…in amazing condition. Aaah, how great would it be to actually have money to spend on such things…
- Mrs. Paula Dean’s Lady and Sons Restaurant. This was our highlight of the day…mostly because we both love to eat! I’m not ashamed to say it! We had the Fried Green Tomatoes, Chicken Pot Pie and Grilled Tilapia Sandwich, along with homemade lemonade. So divine, so bad for us. We loved every bite.

Forsythe Fountain

Confederate Memorial...check out that Spanish Moss. Love it!


Jess and the wonderful cobblestone drives by the river.
2. The little Misters Sam and Russell. So sweet and loveable! Russell finally warmed up to me by Sunday…too bad he’ll forget all about me by Christmas! And, I can’t forget Ryan…one of my favorite brother-in-law’s…he’s a GREAT cook and has a hilarious sense of humor! Lots of fun to hang out with!
1. My sister Jessica! Are you surprised she’d be #1? I’m not. She’s the reason for the visit! I love to spend time with her…and right now, help her out while she’s getting ready for that next little bundle of joy…a GIRL!!! We have a great time together and even though I miss her I’m pretty glad that she’s lived in all these fabulous places so I can visit her there, and make memories that we’d never have anywhere else! Love you Jess!
P.S. I have to send out a BIG THANK YOU to the people who made all of this possible...my parents! They bought me the ticket to go see Jess for my birthday and I couldn't have asked for a better present. Except maybe for a great husband who stayed home with the girls and great friends who helped watch my girls too...thanks Adam, Christabelle, JoRae, and Anji!




5 comments:
Oh it looks like you had so much fun. I am jealous. I am glad that you were able to go and play with Jess. What fun memories to be made. I loved watching the girlies. I love them like they are my own. So glad you had fun. I love you!
Nothin' like a girls only trip to make you feel revitalized! Glad you had fun :) Bryan has been to Georgia with work, he loved it there as well.
I'm number 1! Wahoo!
We miss you already!
This looks so fun. I never felt the need to visit Georgia ... until now. Lovely review!
P.S. Awesome hair! I'm liking it!
I'm so glad you had a good time! It was my pleasure to watch the girls. Thank you for returning the favor last night!
Post a Comment